Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Cold December Day

Winter is a difficult time from, what with the diminished sunlight during limited daylight hours and the biting cold that keeps me mostly indoors. Sometimes I just get stir crazy and need to brave the biting winds of the New York canyons. Knowing that a Nor'Easter was coming through this week and I'd be stuck inside for at least two days, I got out on Monday. As I roamed around I realized that I've been so focused on a major personal project that I found myself preoccupied and not paying attention to what was going on around me.

I'm hoping to get out again tomorrow. I just took possession of a new Fuji lens, the 50-140mm f 2.8 zoom, so I'll have some 'testing' to do. The lens is much larger than the Fuji 55-200mm variable aperture brother lens. They both have image stabilization (OIS), but the new lens focuses much more quickly and silently because of new technology in the motors, and the OIS is greatly improved over the older lens. I did some test shots indoors today and found I can get very usable images hand holding the lens at 1/4 second! I don't think the new lens is going to be part of my travel kit, but for concert photography, portraits, and being in the city that extra speed is going to be liberating. Next week for the Hanukkah holiday there will be quite a few events in New York to put the lens through its paces.

Here's some shots from Monday's chilling walk.







No comments:

Post a Comment